Ottawa Certified Mould Testing
Surface and Air Sampling
FAST TURNAROUND TIMES
Ottawa Mold Testing
Concern about indoor mold exposure has been increasing as the public becomes aware that exposure to mold can cause a variety of health effects and symptoms. Molds can produce allergens that can trigger allergic reactions or even asthma attacks in people allergic to mold, while others are known to produce toxins and irritants. Regardless of the potential effects on health, mold damages building materials. Microbial contamination should be part of your work or living environment. We can evaluate the level of moisture and mold in your home or building. Ottawa mold testing and inspections.
It is impossible to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment. Mold growth can be controlled indoors by controlling moisture indoors. When excessive moisture accumulates in buildings or on building materials, mold growth will often occur, particularly if the moisture problem remains undiscovered or unaddressed. Mold testing has the potential for detecting microbial growth or excess contamination on building materials, in support of thorough building inspections.
The best way to reduce your health risk from mold is to identify and remove the moisture source(s) and remediate the mold. Air tests do not provide information on health and do not address the cause of mold damage. Health Canada does not recommend testing the air for mold. However in many experiences, testing the air for mold has indicated a previous or current problem that may have otherwise went undetected without testing.
Ottawa Mold Inspections
Mold inspections should not be limited to simple a visual look and air sampling, but should focus on building science and identifying the underlying causes. Moisture is the problem: If your house is moldy, the real problem is water infiltration and/or prolonged humidity levels over 60%
Thermal Imaging (Infrared IR) inspection of all surfaces within the scope of the inspection to detect temperature differentials that may be associated with moisture or a lack of insulation. Areas of concern will be followed up with a moisture meter to determine moisture content in the building material. A brief assessment of the heating, cooling, ventilation and filtration systems may be performed as well.
Although severe mold growth is normally obvious to the naked eye, spores and fungal particles are often only detectable via testing. Mold air testing sampling may be necessary if the presence of mold is suspected (e.g., musty odors) but cannot be identified by a visual inspection. One should not rely solely upon a visual inspection. Visual inspection is not adequate to provide an accurate picture of the mold concentration in a room, and testing is necessary.
There are a number of documented cases of health problems related to exposure to indoor fungi. Not everyone experiences allergic reactions. People’s reaction to mold exposure is quite varied, and although anyone can be affected, some people may be more susceptible and at greater risk, including infants, children, elderly, pregnant women, individuals with allergies or asthma, and people with weakened immune systems. For these reasons, and because the measurement of exposure is not standardized and biological markers of exposure to fungi are largely unknown, it is not possible to establish “safe” or “unsafe” levels of exposure.
Mold and mold spores should be prevented from being dispersed throughout the air where they can be inhaled by building occupants. Controlling the environments where we live and work can minimize IAQ problems. We can provide a professional evaluation of the health of your home or building and practical suggestions to for diagnosing problems and for preventing them.